Friday, May 11, 2012

Lil Boosie's Found Not Guilty

Today was great day for, Mr. Badass Himself, New Orleans native rapper Torence "Lil Boosie" Hatch.  Jurors aquitted Hatch earlier today of murder. This verdict came as a shock to so many of us.  I am elated at this news today.  May 11, 2012 will be recorded as one of hip hop's most memorable moments in history.  Twitter has been filled with fans paying homage to Lil Boosie and applauding his victory.  Here is the story as I read it.USA Today reports,

Jurors deliberated for an hour before returning the verdict. Before it was read, District Judge Mike Erwin warned those in the courtroom not to make any emotional outbursts. Still, many quietly sobbed after the verdict was announced.
Hatch, who stood quietly, bowed his head and pumped his fist when he heard the decision from the 12-person jury.
"You've been found not guilty. You stuck your fist up in the air and I can't exactly say that I blame you," the judge said.
Prosecutors contend Hatch hired Michael "Marlo Mike" Louding to kill 35-year-old Terry Boyd, who was shot to death through a window while he was inside his home. Boyd's sister, Rochelle Wagner, is the mother of Hatch's 5-year-old daughter. She left the court crying after hearing the verdict and did not speak with reporters.
Defense attorney Jason Williams said the rapper comes from "a fine family, who had prayed throughout the ordeal."
When asked Hatch's reaction, Williams said, "He just kept saying 'Thank God, Thank God,' over and over."
Hatch, 29, is currently serving an eight-year prison term on separate drug charges. Had he been convicted in Boyd's slaying, he would have faced life in prison.
"I think he has a long life and an amazing career ahead of him now," said Martin Regan, another attorney.
Following the verdict, more than 100 people celebrated in a small park in front of the courthouse, laughing, slapping hands and dancing around. When Hatch's team of defense attorneys appeared, the crowd loudly chanted "Boosie, Boosie, Boosie." When the attorneys began to descend the court house's steps, some in the crowd shrieked and mobbed them, congratulating them on doing a good job.
"The quick verdict showed that they should never have charged him," Williams said. "We didn't call a single witness because every single witness they called, even the police officers, did not say anything connecting Torence to this."
East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore did not speak with reporters following the trial's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trending Now

Blog Archive